Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Coming Home to Ava's Birth

As springtime comes I am reminded that we have been back in the United States for almost a year now. We returned from Africa in May last year. Upon our return I realized afresh that the United States is a remarkably amazing place, and that there's no place like home. In the first few weeks after our return, and while looking for a job, we visited family in Utah, Idaho, and Oregon to help ease our transition.

When returning from a place like the DR Congo, one must expect a bit of culture shock. This was the worst I had experienced yet - I was so overwhelmed by the new city, the different culture (even though it was familiar), the fast pace of life and all the technology, and reverting to speaking English and Spanish again. I do believe my new coworkers believed me to be a very shy person at first, because it was all I could do to learn and absorb the new tasks of my job in the fast-paced high-risk labor and delivery department. Interacting with my environment beyond that was too much for me to handle at first. I got over it, though.

The timing of our homecoming could not have been better, because a day or two after our return my brother James and his wife Katie called with the news that Katie's water had broken and they were off to the hospital. We quickly drove from Salt Lake to Idaho Falls so that I could be present to help Katie (and my brother James, too) through the labor and delivery process. It was such a special experience to be present at Ava's birth and to be able to meet her and greet her as she came into the world. Ava eventually came via cesarean section, and since I'm a labor and delivery nurse I was allowed to enter the operating room with Katie and James and stay with them, explaining to them everything that was going on. Usually hospitals allow only one family member into the operating room so it was a great privilege to be there. I was also deeply honored by James and Katie for inviting me to be a part of this amazing experience.

Proud Aunt Laura holding beautiful Ava - just minutes old.

No comments:

Post a Comment