Monday, December 22, 2008

It be snowing in Portland!

When I got back from Utah, a vastly different sight greeted me. Winter had come. And then it kept coming. And coming some more. And more again. In fact, it's still coming.

These are the conditions in which I had to commute to work
the night of December 20th.


This is what I experienced on my way home
the morning of December 21st.



Well prepared people got to enjoy the snow thoroughly, like these lucky cross country skiers that I walked by in downtown portland while on my way home. Portland itself is not prepared for snow like this because it happens so rarely. It does not make economic sense here to stock up on enough snow plows to clear the streets like they do in cities where it snows often, so instead, we enjoy walking down the middle of the street when it snows. On a normal winter day, this street is full of cars and wet with rain.

I heard on the news later that this storm was the worst storm Portland had seen since 1980. Jacob remembers that storm. He had just turned 5 years old and he remembers how tall the snow was.

No comments:

Post a Comment