Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Dancing the "Linda"



This was a gathering of children in an unfinished house just a couple houses down from where Jacob and I stayed in Masina, near the airport. It was a theatre group that got together to sing and dance. When we heard them and showed up with a camera, the crowds began to gather. There are another hundred or so children crowding behind Jacob (who did this shot) that you can't see in this video. You'll hear them shout linda (pronounced leenda) repeatedly. I don't know if I'm spelling it correctly. I don't even know what it means, but I do know that when you chant it you're supposed to lean down and shake your rear end. Well, you can see for yourself! When Jacob danced the linda the kids cheered so loudly it was deafening.

No comments:

Post a Comment